One of the best moments of Christmas Day is waking up to the aroma of a holiday breakfast. Coupled with the excitement of opening presents and the spirit of Christmas giving, a hearty breakfast with fine smoked meats makes the morning all the more perfect. Check out this recipe that’s a southern cuisine classic for Christmas mornings; Sausage Casserole with Edwards Hickory-Smoked Sausage:
- 6 to 8 slices of firm white bread
- 4 eggs
- 6 to 8 Edwards country smoked sausage links
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, grated
Measuring spoons and cup, cutting board, chef’s knife, baking dish, frying pan.
1. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Slice sausages in 1/8-inch thick circles or coins. Saute in an ungreased frying pan for 2 to 4 minutes. Drain well. Trim crusts from bread and fit into bottom of dish. Distribute sausage over bread. Place eggs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and milk in blender and blend well. Spread cheeses over sausage and cover with milk mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit in refrigerator overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
2. Note: Soft textured bread should not be used in this recipe. This is an excellent brunch dish.